Disclaimer

Ideas and thoughts expressed here are not the views or opinions of Any other person or organization but are my own personal views.



Friday, December 9, 2011

Dorm Life

The dorm life for my students is very difficult.  There are 12 students to a room (6 floors).  All of their stuff has to be lined up, etc just like in basic training of the US military.  Nothing can be out of place or the whole dorm is in trouble.  There is a light but no electrical outlets and lights are out at 10:15, no exceptions, no excuses.  The toilet is also in the same room where they sleep.  A Chinese toliet is squatting over a hole, so the sewer line is open and the smell is horrible.  There is no heating or air-conditioning.  There are no washing machines or dryers (hand wash/hang dry).  There is no hot water in the rooms.  If you want hot water to bathe or wash clothes, you must take a bucket to the first floor and get the hot water and haul it to your room.  For that matter, if you want a bath or to wash clothes you must do it during your free time: 40 mins at lunch and 50 mins at dinner.  As all other time is spent in class of some kind and when the students are released at night to go to bed, they have 15 mins to get from class to dorm and in bed before lights are out.

We, and our childern, are spoiled.  We have it made and still we complain and try to have more.  Yea, part of my apartment is cold; but, I have hot water when I want it, I have heat in one room, I have a regular toilet so no smell, I have a stove refridgarator, microwave, and washer, I have electrical outlets that I can plug up an electric blanket or floor heater if I want and I have plenty of time to bathe, wash my clothes, eat, go to town, etc. Please forgive me for ever complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment